Moving to Claremont: The Ultimate Guide
This guide will tell you everything you need to know about moving to Claremont, California! Also perfect for those that call Claremont and the Foothill Communities home… I know you will learn something new! Our moving guide is also the perfect resource to send friends and family who are new to the area- we share tons of resources for the City of Claremont.
The population of the city of Claremont is 35,000 people.
Demographics of Claremont
The racial makeup of Claremont was 24,666 (70.6%) White (58.9% Non-Hispanic White),1,651 (4.7%) African American, 172 (0.5%) Native American, 4,564 (13.1%) Asian, 38 (0.1%) Pacific Islander, 2,015 (5.8%) from other races, and 1,820 (5.2%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6,919 persons (19.8%).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 13.35 square miles (34.6 km2), of which 13.3 square miles (34 km2) is land and 0.05 square miles (0.13 km2) (1.03%) is water. Claremont is located at the eastern end of Los Angeles County and borders the cities of Upland and Montclair in San Bernardino County, as well as the cities of Pomona and La Verne in Los Angeles County. It is geographically located in the Pomona Valley. Claremont is approximately 30 miles (48 km) east of downtown Los Angeles.
Claremont has a Mediterranean climate (Köppen climate classification Csa). In the summer months, temperatures may get very hot, sometimes rising above 100 °F (38 °C). In the autumn months, Claremont can experience the gusty “Santa Ana Winds”, which can bring fire danger to nearby foothill areas. In the winter months, most of the city’s annual rainfall occurs, which is typical around the Los Angeles metropolitan area.
The city of Claremont sits at an altitude of 748’. The elevation of Claremont is 748 feet above sea level.
Largest employers in Claremont
Average Home Price in Claremont
The Claremont housing market is somewhat competitive. Homes in Claremont receive 2 offers on average and sell in around 38 days. The average sale price of a home in Claremont was $963K last month, up 30.5% since last year. The average sale price per square foot in Claremont is $518, up 22.7% since last year.
Claremont Commute Times
Claremont is one hour and 40 mins from LAX, 13 minutes from Ontario Airport and 1 hr and 10 mins minutes from Orange County. Claremont will also connect with the Metro Gold Line once the Gold Line Foothill Extension is complete in 2026. This extension will also provide service to L.A. Union Station via Pasadena.
Best Restaurants in Claremont
- The Whisper House – Located in the South East Corner of the Claremont Packing House, The Whisper House is a purveyor of unique entrees and hand crafted cocktails reminiscent of the Prohibition era.
- Bardot – Bardot Restaurant is the place for contemporary California cuisine enthusiasts. Here you will find something for every appetite – from small plates to full entrees.
- Viva Madrid – Viva Madrid has been serving up authentic Spanish flavors and experiences since 1998.
- Uno Tre Otto – pasta is made in-house from flour ordered in small batches, ensuring minimal waste and a hearty product that is cooked fresh, never dried. Organic heirloom wheat is stone-ground by micro-mill Grist & Toll in Pasadena, and always kept whole.
- Aruffo’s Italian Cuisine – offers farm to table artisan dishes, inspired by historic Italian gastronomy.
- The Meat Cellar – the Home of the Tomahawk invites guests to experience the highest quality meat and seafood the world has to offer.
- Eureka! – Offering fun dining experiences with “Hoppy Hour”, half off wine Tuesdays, Steal the Glass Wednesdays and even a dog-friendly patio.
If you’re looking for the best restaurants with patio space in Claremont we have that too!
Best Bars in Claremont
- THE LOUNGE AT HOTEL CASA 425 – The Lounge at Hotel Casa 425 offers a spacious and inviting alfresco atmosphere with delicious eclectic California cuisine. Enjoy hand-crafted cocktails, savory small plates, beer on draft, plus premier wines by the glass or bottle.
- Metro Alehouse & Grill – 40 beers on tap & full service bar served by the friendliest of staff
- Magnolia Bistro & Wine Bar – feature the Finest Wines from vineyards all over the world, along with selected Craft Beers from your favorite local breweries.
- Union On Yale – Union On Yale is a special place to celebrate others with freshly prepared food and craft cocktails.
Family Friendly Activities in Claremont
- California Botanic Garden – Families can explore the multi-level garden to view more than 2,000 taxa of California plants spread, including plants native to the California Floristic Province as a whole – from southern Oregon to Baja California.
- The Raymond M. Alf Museum of Paleontology – The museum highlights life forms from four major eras of geologic time: Precambrian, Paleozoic, Mesozoic and Cenozoic and houses a unique fossil track and trackway collection that is among the largest of its kind in the United States.
- Folk Music Center Store and Museum – The museum portion of the shop houses a collection of rare and antique musical instruments and artifacts from around the world. Classes and workshops are offered for nascent musicians.
- Claremont Packing House – Young Chefs Academy offers cooking classes to children in a safe learning environment that encourages discovery and creativity. Studio Claremont offers art classes and activities for kids of all ages.
Outdoor Activities in Claremont
- The Claremont Club – offer a variety of fitness services in one expansive location, including 27 tennis courts, 8 pickleball courts, an Olympic and family swimming pool.
- Ironcide – Their micro gym is one of a kind and equipped with the most high end equipment along with a motivating and well educated coaching staff.
- TEAM ZERO GRAVITY – specializing in One on One and Online training Programs tailored to fit each individuals level of fitness and goals.
- Fitness 19 – known for having the friendliest staff, amazing variety of equipment, fun group classes in the Blue Room, and amazing indoor cycling classes.
Claremont Open Spaces & Hiking Trails
- Claremont Hills Loop
- Potato Mountain Wilderness Trail
- Marshall Canyon Trail
- Thomas Creek Trail
- Gale Mountail Loop
Claremont School Districts
Claremont has excellent school district: Claremont Unified School District
Universities and colleges in and near Claremont
The Claremont Colleges includes five undergraduate liberal arts colleges and two graduate institutions: Pomona College, Claremont Graduate University, Scripps College, Claremont McKenna College, Harvey Mudd College, Pitzer College and Keck Graduate Institute.
Located on contiguous campuses in the Southern California city of Claremont, each institution has its own student body, faculty, governance, curricular emphasis, culture, and mission. Intercollegiate cooperation provides university-scale services and facilities.
Highest Rated Schools in Claremont
The highest rated schools in Glendora are as follows:
- Condit Elementary School with a ranking of 8/10
- Sycamore Elementary School with a ranking of 8/10
- Claremont High School with a ranking of 9/10
Elementary Schools in Claremont
Claremont serves its population with seven elementary schools as listed below:
Middle Schools in Claremont
High Schools in Claremont
Neighborhoods in Claremont
Below are five of Claremont’s most family-friendly neighborhoods.
Old Claremont Village
Old Claremont Village, more popularly known to locals as simply The Village, is a family-friendly neighborhood in Downtown Claremont. The community is filled with hundreds of quality shops, bakeries, galleries, and restaurants.
Blaisdell Ranch is a tranquil and upscale neighborhood known for its manicured lawns, tall trees, stone walls, and old-town charm. It sits towards the northeastern edge of Claremont, with the popular Mount Baldy Road located slightly north.
The scenic neighborhood of Claraboya sits at the peak of Mountain Avenue towards the northwestern corner of Claremont. Located on the rolling hillside, homes in the Claraboya neighborhood enjoy some of the city’s best views.
With highly attractive homes, pristine streets, as well as its proximity to Downtown Claremont, the neighborhood of Towne Ranch is another highly desirable family-friendly community. It was once nicknamed “Pill Hill” thanks to having so many doctors as residents.
Pitzer Ranch is a neighborhood filled with a mix of both historic and modern homes. The neighborhood’s main residential development at Citrus Glen features residences ranging from new construction condo units to three- and four-bedroom attached homes starting in the $400,000s.
Real Estate in Claremont
The median price for a home in Claremont is around $925,000. The lowest priced homes in Claremont are about $499,000.
Homes for Sale in Claremont
No matter the area, price point or style you’re going for we can help you find a home in Claremont. You can search all of the homes currently on the market in the Foothill Community of Claremont by clicking the button below. Or, if you’d rather have a customized report sent to you just fill out the form below and we will get in touch with you!
Apps to use in Claremont
From hiking info to liquor delivery, they really will make your life in Claremont more fun and exciting!
- Discover Claremont – The Discover Claremont app is designed to help you plan the perfect vacation, trip or weekend getaway in Claremont CA!
- Instacart – Select items from your favorite grocery stores
Utility services in Claremont
Electricity service in the city of Claremont is provided by Southern California Edison.
Natural gas service in the city of Claremont is provided by The Southern California Gas Company.
Water service in the city of Claremont is provided by the Golden State Water Company
Trash service in the city of Claremont is provided by Waste Management.
Internet Service Providers in Claremont
Internet and cable services in Claremont are provided by Spectrum:
Internet and cable services in Claremont are provided by Frontier
Claremont Police Department
The Claremont Police Department can be contacted at this address or at the phone numbers below. They also operate a Facebook page with tips and info that is useful.
570 W. Bonita Ave. Claremont CA 91711
Non Emergency-24 hours Service/Intake (909) 399-5415
Direct Dispatch – Emergency Number Service/Intake and Administration (909) 626-1296
Non Emergency-24 hours Service/Intake (909) 399-5411
Claremont Fire Department
2040 N. Sumner Ave. Claremont CA 91711
Not convinced that you should move to Claremont?
Here is more info about the city of trees & PhD’s!
15 reasons to move to Claremont